The latest dietary guidelines call for us to get 10-13 servings of fruits and vegetables per day. Did your jaw just hit the ground? Yeah that tends to be the common reaction when I tell my clients that! Yet we know no matter what you are trying to improve, you can’t go wrong with getting more fruits and vegetables.
But is getting 10-13 servings per day impossible? Well lets say even if we don’t get 10-13 serving per day, we certainly have lots of room for improvement! The CDC reports adults are averaging less than 2 serving of vegetables per day and less than 1.5 servings of fruit per day!
First let us understand what a serving is and then lets figure out how you are going to get more! A serving is 1/2 cup cooked and 1 cup raw, or as I like to say a fist full (because who is measuring everything they eat).
How are you going to get more in your day?
- Your new motto: A meal is not a meal without fruits and vegetables present!
- Pre-plan using Prep-day, having them ready to use means you will chose them
- Add fruit/vegetables smoothie to your day
- Add vegetables to your breakfast, eggcellent muffins
- Keep them in sight… keep a bowl on the counter or when you open the refrigerator
- Try baked apples
- Roast vegetables with some balsamic vinegar
- Celebrate Meatless Mondays, make 1 day per week vegetarian
- Make lots and lots of soups!
- Dip veggies in hummus/Greek yogurt dip
- Add salad to a meal
- Play with new recipes
- Busy week but them pre-cut and prepped!
- Make them the main event, like my 3 Step Crockpot Vegetable Soup
What does a days worth of Fruits and Vegetables look like? So 10-13 serving a day may seem like a great deal, but it is actually just about 6 cups. If you had a 3 cup salad each day, you have already hit the 1/2 way mark. When you see it below it may not look that bad or impossible to get!
- 1 cup of berries with breakfast (2 Servings)
- 3 cup salad at lunch (3 Servings)
- 1 medium orange after lunch (1 Serving)
- 1 cup carrots/cucumbers with hummus for a snack (1 Serving)
- 2 cups roasted vegetables with dinner (4 Servings)
- Total of 11 Servings for the day
The way I look at this, is we all have room for improvement, so don’t get overwhelmed by the numbers. Rather take on the challenge with small steps by adding a salad here and there, finishing meal with a piece of fruit, swamping a yogurt for some carrots as a snack, making vegetables the main attractions rather than a side dish. One of my quick way to get more vegetables in, especially during the winter is crockpot vegetables soup. This soup is so easy and it only takes 3 steps… 3 Step Crockpot Vegetable Soup!