He’s making his list and checking it twice… and so should you! Tis the season of gift giving and the best gift you can been given is health, but you know that sometimes doesn’t come easy, especially when it come to the kitchen and cooking healthy meals and snacks. I have a few kitchen gadgets that you may want to add to your list this year, that will add a little fun to your kitchen and make it easier to choose healthy foods.
Santa Must Have Kitchen Gadgets:
So my favorite treat and actually food no matter what time of year it may be, is ICE CREAM! If I could, I would eat it every day. Yep that is right, a dietitian is admitting ice cream is her favorite food.
About two years ago I started to hear the buzz on a machine that makes ice cream out of frozen bananas! I thought that is so silly, you can just do that with a food processor right? Well yeah you can but the texture is nothing like the Yonanas healthy dessert maker or ice cream.
Since I purchased my Yonanas machine, I have been sharing this creamy and low calorie treat with my Wellness Groups, in fact this past Tuesday we shared 2 great flavors Rainbow Sherbet (banana, pineapple, peach, mango and raspberries) and Peanut Butter Banana (all natural peanut butter & banana).
After my patients are hooked on this sweet treat they always follow up very cynically with “okay, so how much?”The Yonanas are inexpensive as far as kitchen gadgets go, about $45.00 for the original Yonanas. Recently the Yonanas elite has come out, which I have not experience with, but supposedly has a sleeker design and is quieter, but also cost $119.00. From my stand point it is totally worth the $45.00, the machine lasts and make amazing treats that save me money and calories! Now I can eat “ice cream” everyday!!
Set the bubbles free. Lets face it, water can be boring! Once I started drinking sparking water, I drank a whole lot more and enjoyed it. I have been purchasing bottle and cans of soda water, mineral water and seltzer and lugging them home by the dozens each week. Not any more! Last Christmas Santa brought me a Soda Stream. I can make my own sparking water whenever I like, and I know exactly what is in my beverages.
The other added benefts of the Soda Stream are:
(1) Cost: 25 Cents per 1 L water, compared to the 99 cents 1 L bottles in the store.
(2) More environmentally friendly with reusable bottles (BPA free), and C02 containers that can be refilled.
(3) No more flat soda water wasted.
(4) Never run out of my favorite beverage.
Soda Stream sales seem to have exploded, as more and more people recognized the dangers of soda and diet sodas. Soda Stream offers a variety of flavors and soda, but for me the point of this machine is to control what I put in my body. So below are a few suggestions to jazz up those bubbles without using sugar or fake stuff.
Ways to Jazz Up Your Water:
(1) Bubbly: Use a Soda Stream or purchased seltzer.
(2) Citrus Burst: Add slice lemon, oranges or limes to your water/seltzer.
(3) Spritzer: Add 2 oz 100% fruit juice to 6-8 oz of seltzer/water
(4) Cool Cubes: Simply chop additives of your choice (mint, fruit, cucumbers), add it to your ice cube tray along with water, then freeze. You may also consider juice, tea, or coffee cubes.
(5) Spa Water: Add a slices of cucumbers into water
(6) Herbs Infused: Add lemongrass, basil,mint or parsley. To release the flavor you can crush the plants a little bit before putting them into your water.
(7) Berry Coolers: add frozen berries or any other fruit to water, to add a touch of flavor and to keep your water cool.
(8) Turn Water into Tea: Green, black, white or herbal, tea is a great way to meet your daily hydration needs. Just skip the sugar or cream.
(9) Everything Coming up Roses: Add a few drops of rose water.
(10) Ginger “ale”: Add fresh ginger to seltzer/water to add “spice”