Santa brought me the best present yet… a Soda Stream! It is a fairly inexpensive machine that turns tap water into sparkling water. Lets face it, water can be boring! Once I started drinking sparking water, I drank a whole lot more and enjoyed it. I have been purchasing bottle and cans of soda water, mineral water and seltzer and lugging them home by the dozens each week.Not any more! I can make my own sparking water whenever I like, and I know exactly what is in my beverages. The other added benefts of the Soda Stream are: (1) Cost: 25 Cents per 1 L water, compared to the 99 cents 1 L bottles in the store. (2) More environmentally friendly with reusable bottles (BPA free), and C02 containers that can be refilled. (3) No more flat soda water wasted. (4) Never run out of my favorite beverage.
The reasons to not drink sodas, diet sodas, juices and flavored beverages are end less. The No Fizz USA, did a great job summarizing over 60 studies done on the harm of consuming sodas and diet sodas.
My Top 5 reasons not to drink soda/diet soda:
(1) Harvard School of Public Health – Drinking just one soda per day increases type-2 diabetes risk by 26% in adults.
(2) Loma Linda University – Drinking 5 glasses of water per day decreases the risk of deadly heart disease by 60%
(3) University of Texas – Daily consumption of diet soda is associated with a 36% greater risk of metabolic syndrome and a 67% greater risk of type 2 diabetes compared with non-consumption.
(4) Yale University – When school administrators remove soda and unhealthy snacks from schools, students eat more nutritious foods at both school and home.
(5) Oakland Research Institute – People on a diet who replace soda with water lose an extra five pounds per year on average than those who do not change their drinking habits.
Ways to Jazz Up Your Water:
(1) Bubbly: Use a Soda Stream or purchased seltzer.
(2) Citrus Burst: Add slice lemon, oranges or limes to your water/seltzer.
(3) Spritzer: Add 2 oz 100% fruit juice to 6-8 oz of seltzer/water
(5) Spa Water: Add a slices of cucumbers into water
(6) Herbs Infused: Add lemongrass, basil,mint or parsley. To release the flavor you can crush the plants a little bit before putting them into your water.
(7) Berry Coolers: add frozen berries or any other fruit to water, to add a touch of flavor and to keep your water cool.
(8) Turn Water into Tea: Green, black, white or herbal, tea is a great way to meet your daily hydration needs. Just skip the sugar or cream.
(9) Everything Coming up Roses: Add a few drops of rose water.
(10) Ginger “ale”: Add fresh ginger to seltzer/water to add “spice”
Challenge your drinking habits: limit your soda/diet soda/juice consumption to 0-12 oz per week. Your body will thank you!